Birth and transitional stories matter. I was born in Korea and adopted at 14 months old to a family in Oregon. Having been influenced a lot by origination stories, power, culture, race, and gender from a young age, I studied anthropology and sociology in Portland, and was eventually drawn to New York City for further studies, but really for the diversity of the City itself.
Navigating becoming pregnant and birthing a child here, and without family support, drastically changed my life's orientation — so much so that I felt inspired to become a midwife or doula. Eventually I took the plunge, and trained as a full-spectrum doula with Ancient Song Doula Services. And something did click. As one of my first clients shared, "Everyone else was focused on the baby, but it was great to have someone just focused on me."
Doulas provide a quality of attention that is often missing in this medically oriented society. As a person who has grappled with my own identity and trajectory, I attend with great care to birth experiences and other major transitions. And as an adoptee who never quite fit any mold, my support is truly inclusive, unconditionally supportive, and rooted in compassion and consent. I also invite the unorthodox, queer, previous or expected loss, and those seeking sensitive and personalized advocacy.
My background is also as a meditation and wellness instructor. Meditation in my experience is about being attuned and attentive to whatever is happening, with more emphasis on presence and process than set goals. I strive to be an alert and calming companion, and feel honored to play a role in the unique unfolding of each new passage, family, and story.
- Certified Lactation Counselor (CLC), trained and certified with the Center for Breastfeeding (HCP)
- All Things Lactation: Non-Traditional Infant Feeding Relationships, with Tanya Wills, CNM, IBCLC
- Co-founded + co-lead Mindfulness + Stress Reduction Doula Support Group, with Mary Esther Malloy
- Home Birth Midwife's Assistant, with JJB Midwifery / Shana Norberg, CNM
- Holding Space for Pregnancy Loss, teacher certified with the Institute for the Study of Birth, Breath, & Death
- Recentering Trans* Experiences in Reproductive Care, with doula and educator Charlie Monlouis
- VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean) Masterclass, with consumer advocate Jen Kamel of VBACfacts.com
- Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP), certified with Karen Strange, CPM
- Abortion + Adoption Doula Support, with the Doula Project
- Reclaim the Medicine of Birth, with Karen Rose, Master Herbalist and owner of Sacred Vibes Apothecary
- DONA Doula Training, with Rina Crane, DONA Intercultural Director
- The Havening Technique and the Power of Emotional Safety, with Kimm Sun, CNM
- New York City Doula Collective (NYCDC) Mentor, and part of of Mediation and Access Committees
- Stillbirthday, birth and bereavement certified
- Understanding World Religions for Birth and Death Doulas, with Amy Wright Glenn
- Full-Spectrum doula trained with Chanel Porchia, Ancient Song Doula Services
- Foundations in Contemplative Care, 9 month certification, NY Zen Center for Contemplative Care
- Meditation instruction training and facilitating: Brooklyn Zen Center, Prison Mindfulness Institute, Rangjung Prison Dharma Project, Rikers Jail, Streetwork Project, CHiPS women's shelter, MBSR, + MindfulNYU